Wild Animals/large black cat in Tennessee

Carly wrote at 2010-11-28 16:46:36
My friend  and I were driving to Sidney, MT last night from Watford city and we saw the same exact thing! tried finding it on the internet but this is all we could get.  

Ina Day wrote at 2011-12-27 22:51:12
Crump, Tn. Have seen identical amimal (cat) just about 2 hours ago running between my storm shelter and chicken house. (no chickens yet) but we do feed the deer. Haven't seen many of those since before Christmas, also. My son also saw it when I yelled for my dog, (thought it was my black lab that got out), but come to find out my dog was in the house.

Jo Ann Hampton-Moats wrote at 2014-09-19 04:19:05
I recently spent a few days in eastern tennessee in a small town called Townsend. This is in the Smokey mnts. We were on a small low traveled road very near The Foothills Parkway. It was dusk with the sun setting quickly. Suddenly, a fairly large black animal loped across the road, right in front of me. I knew it was not a dog. I am a dog lover and enthusiast. Dogs do not move that way. It moved like a cat. But it was much too large to be a cat. It had no tail. Could it be a young bear? No. It had no snout like a bear. The nose was more blunt. So, I am asking myself...what had I seen ? Not a dog,not a bear, a big cat-like animal but way too big. I asked myself, is it possible for a bobcat to be black? Looks like a cat,moves like a cat. Appears to be the size of a medium weight dog...maybe 50-60 lbs. or so. No tail.   The next morning, I asked a few of the locals. I was told that there have been reports of black bobcat in the area. A couple folks even told me that there have been sightings of Panthers in this area. I believe that I saw a black bobcat.  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.