Wild Animals/Black Jaguar in northern Louisiana

Dolores Theriac wrote at 2011-01-30 23:03:58
Jonathan, very interesting to read this as I saw a huge (not housecat of any kind) about 3 weeks ago across the street from my home (right on the banks of the Red River) in Shreveport.  I was shocked out of my mind when I saw it. I looked at pictures posted of the Black Panther and this is the animal I saw.  I would guess it was anywhere from 35 - 55 lbs. We have also had the large prints around our home in the mud on at least two more occasions.  My husband and I plan to report this to the Wildlife Commission here.  It was not gray or beige but pitch black and I saw it just after dusk.  It seems to be hanging close to our home and the downtown airport.  We did take pictures of the tracks and a man who knows animals said it was definitely panther tracks. We have had bobcats, deer and every other kind of critter you can image on our river bank.

Kevin Dufresne wrote at 2012-12-24 06:29:23
I have seen three large black cats in Louisiana. I am 59, so I have been around a while. The first one was in 1959 on a farm that we lived on outside of Ponchatoula. We had a chicken coop out behind the barn and my father kept a shotgun on the back porch for when he would hear the chickens acting up when they were being attacked by some animal. Sometimes it would be a coon or a possum and neighbors would tell us that there were also foxes, but we never saw one of those. One time my father went out and saw something running away and chased it back into the woods. Eventually, he saw a large dark grey, almost black cat up in a tree and shot it and brought it back to the house. It was unlike any cat we had ever seen before. The fur was much more coarse than a regular cat's and it was much larger and weighed over twenty pounds though it was not fat at all. I saw another similar cat run across a road near Folsum in the 80's. The last one was when I was hunting off of Hwy 51 between Manchac and Ponchatoula and I had shot a dove with my 22 from about 70 yards away. It was fluttering around as it went down and it took me a while to get there. When I got to where it was it was in some marsh grass about two to three feet tall. I heard something running in the grass and thought it was a rabbit, so I fired several shots at the noise. I heard quite a commotion and when I ran over to it, it was a large cat, very much like the one that my father had shot when I was a child. After hearing other people talk about Black Panthers in Louisiana, I knew that what I had seen was not a Black Panther so I started looking into what it might have been. When I saw a photo of a Jaguarundi, I realized that that looked almost exactly like the two cats that I had seen up close. I believe that many of the Black Panther sightings are actually Jaguarundi sightings.

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.