Wild Animals/Droppings

markw wrote at 2011-08-24 00:23:07
I live in northern Indiana and I found the same thing, it turns out to be from a tomato hornworm. Hope this helps!

gardening wrote at 2011-12-14 16:12:36
I think it might be a sphinx caterpillar...they are large 5-7 inch green with yellow strips. I live in central AZ and also have an enclosed garden surrounded by a 8ft wall. The only things in my yard that I have seen are these caterpillars and my dog and they are not from my dog. Hope this helps.

Tel the Pensioner wrote at 2012-09-27 08:02:45
Dear Maureen, My friend found a lot of these droppings in one area under his hedge in the garden a couple of weeks ago - his garden is in a fairly built-up area of South West Essex. It has puzzled me for all this time until I saw your posting... From lots of searching around on the web, I think you'll find that they are the faeces of the Privet Hawk-Moth. They do, indeed, look like tiny little hand grenades. I can sleep easy now!

teresa Earl

Tel the Pensioner wrote at 2012-09-27 08:02:57

teresa Earl

ravenokuu wrote at 2014-10-24 19:45:35
It appears to be the dropping of a hornworm caterpillar. The tomato hornworm in the United States has droppings of the same shape and color. Though I believe the hornworm is more common in the US than abroad. But your husband is correct in the fact that it is a caterpillar.  

Donna wrote at 2016-05-29 18:51:11
It is droppings from a caterpillar. I recently discovered some droppings with a horned worm nearby.  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright