Wild Animals/Large Blact Cat (Panther/Jaguar)

Cookkey wrote at 2013-08-14 00:13:57
There ARE indeed Big BLACK Predatory Cats in the U.S.! It happens to be the Melanistic (Black) Jaguar, which IS native to the Americas! This is also the onky ROARING Big Cat in the U.S. I know this because I have a female with cubs on my property.  They do have a hellish, hair-raising, blood curdling SCREAM! She and I have been face to face on three occasions and I have seen her nearly all black body on 7 occasions. ..she has thick black rosettes.

She is very muscular, weighs every bit of 180-200 pounds and 5-6 ft in length...not including her long tail. She sounds very Tigerish/lionish...very deep growls. She and I have developed a protocol if I have to go near where her family hangs out. I call out to her...she lets me know if she's there with a chuff (cough-like) or a growl...then I avoid the area. We came up with this after we startled each other on a few occasions which caused her to roar and me to keep her targeted with my pistol and slowly backing away.

Her front paw prints are nearly 5" inches across and her rear paws are nearly 4" inches across. Several folks in our area have encounters with this or another cat like her!

Game and Fish came out, but they were looking for Mtn. Lion signs and didn't find anything matching Mtn. Lion sign...so they left! Jaguar tracks/prints don't look like Mtn. Lion/Cougar/Puma tracks/prints! I have pictures of her and her cubs...not great ones. I have castings of her tracks. Yet, G/F will not acknowledge her presence!

Protect her and her cub(s). They are on the endangered species list! If you can, set up game cameras to document her presence!  Once you have good photos, G/F will NOT be able to dismiss their presence and a breeding population!  Federal funding is available to protect these cats!

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright