Wild Animals/Cougers

Question
Can a couger kill a Burmese python?

Answer
Dear Chris

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

Please note that the Burmese pythons in the Florida Everglades are not native to the USA, so cougars (also called pumas) would need to adapt their feeding methods to feed on them. I am speculating that these feeding methods would be similar to those used to overcome anacondas. Daniel Moellic (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspecies-Conflict-3754/2010/5/animal-fights-33.ht) says that cougars do not usually kill large snakes and other sites state that most predators would be at a great disadvantage if the snake were in water. Johan Hjelm (http://www.ehow.com/info_8649079_animals-eat-python.html) says that cougars will eat pythons. From other research, it seems that cougars can kill small anacondas on land and the same is probably true of cougars killing Burmese pythons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVUerporAlU shows a video of a large cat and a python, but the cat looks like a leopard and not a puma.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright