Wild Animals/animal in basement

We have something living in the dirt part of our basement. It's making 2 inch tunnels but does not eat anything we have put in have a heart and rat traps. We live in New  York and would like to get rid of it before winter.

Dear Tony

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://newyork.bbb.org/pest-control/ and http://www.4nobugs.com/PestInfo.htm give examples of the types of household pests that live in New York and what can be done to control them.

The width of the hole seems to indicate that the animals could be small rats, but the usual diameter of rat holes is about 3-4 inches (http://www.newtownabbey.gov.uk/environmentalhealth/downloads/Rat%20Factsheet.pdf), so the tunnels may have been made by another animal.

I suggest that you contact a qualified pest controller to look at the tunnels and make a definite identification. This will help the pest controller determine the best method of pest control, which should be specific to the pest and have little or no effect on other animals, including any pets you may have.

I hope this helps and that you will be pest-free as soon as possible.

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.