Wild Animals/bat identification

Question
brown bat
brown bat  

dark bat
dark bat  
Could you identify a bat by just looking the picture?  Those bats live in mangrove area by hanging upside down on the tree's branches. One had a light brown colour while the other was dark black.

Answer
Dear Ina,

These are both Flying Foxes, which are ecologically valuable fruit bats.  They act as pollinators and seed dispersers, and are vital to forest ecosystems.  They are gentle and adorable.  :)

There are two genera of bats in this group, Pteropus and Acerodon.  You can read more about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteropus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acerodon

Yours look more like Pteropus.  There are many species, and I can't tell which it might be from your pictures.  But you can see a list of species at the article above and link to pictures of each one, if you want to know more about them.

Many species of Flying Fox are now threatened with extinction.  It's very lovely that you have them in a place where you can observe them without disturbing them.  Enjoy them!  :)

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.