Wild Animals/Elephant's Strength

Question
Can an elephant lift an adult human off the ground using it's trunk (presumably around the adult's waist)?

Answer
Dear Paul

"If an adult elephant lifts a weight only using the strength of its mighty trunk, it can lift approximately 300kg. However, they have been shown to be able to carry about 500kg of logs. A leather cord is tied around the logs and the elephant bites on this cord with its molars. It then leans back, using the weight of its body as extra power."

Source:  http://www.andrews-elephants.com/elephants-faq.html#.UKeJYoWBg7A

So the answer is:  Yes.  Don't get too close.  :)

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.