Wild Animals/future career.

Question
Dear Jonathan Wright,
I currently am still a high school student, but I am thinking deeply about a specific career path. As I assume you get these questions a lot, I am sure you might be able to answer my question.
I enjoy large animals, such as big cats, bears, and several different dog packs. I am not sure where or when I need to start, only being a freshman I'm not sure how much I can do now. I would like to work hands on, maybe in an animal rescue or a sanctuary where I can really bond with the animals and learn all about them and their behaviors.
I was thinking about trying to have a small start at the Santa Fe College zoo, but I don't think they will let someone as young as me to work with them.If you know where I might be able to start my career and dream of interacting with the wild ones that would be wonderful.
Thank you for your time.
      Haily

Answer
Dear Haily

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

First of all, I think you need to be realistic about your dream. Most of the people who have asked me for advice about careers with animals have wanted to work with big cats. A few have been interested in wolves and other dogs, but I think you're the first person to have expressed an interest in working with bears. You will face a lot of competition and you may end up with a poorly paid job, although you could use it to further your career. The ex-head keeper of cats at London Zoo went on to work as a manager at the zoos in Rome and Singapore and later managed the Highland Wildlife Park. One of the ex-volunteers at London Zoo now travels to various countries to help with wildlife conservation and one of the students in the year below me at college became a conservationist, author and broadcaster, so there are possibilities for you.

I think your idea of starting at the Santa Fe college zoo is a good one. It will let you know the skills you require to work with animals and will also help you decide if it is the career for you. If you are too young, there may be ways of helping out at a local zoo and perhaps seeing if you can become a docent.

I wish you luck in any future career. If you can afford to pay for the experience, organisations such as Earthwatch run conservation courses where you can help scientists in the wild. Please note that it may be better for you financially to develop your skills for a more lucrative career and then use your vocations to work with animals. I remember one woman who worked as a secretary and was a live in au-pair, as she couldn't afford to rent or buy somewhere in London. She used the money she saved to travel around the world to look at animals.   

I hope this helps

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright