Wild Animals/deer herds

Question
deer
deer  
I live in eastern WA and I drive the same roads everyday from work and see deer at least once a week. usually just one to five deer at a time. Today while driving i was looking across the plains and had to stop because Ive never seen so many deer at once, as I tried to count it was 60 - 70 I could count and that doesn't include what was over the hill that they were I could see as I drove off that there were more on the back side.I would be comfortable saying I saw at least 100 total. is it normal to have that many deer in one spot?
the picture is horrible and only a small portion of what i saw.
Thanks
Chris

Answer
Dear Chris,

It's not common to see that many deer in one place, but not impossible.  They may be congregating there because it's a little warmer, or because someone is scattering food for them there.

Without knowing more about the environment, we'll just have to guess.

But that was a pretty neat thing to see!

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.