Wild Animals/Weasel or ferret?

Question
I found an animal in my driveway(unfortunately dead) it looks like a black footed ferret to me,however it is smallabout 16 inches with tail,iy is white with brownish red , it has black feet & a black tip on tail. It's face is completely whitewith pointy nose(no mask around eyes) I live @ the base of latir peak questa new mexico. Any info would be appreciated.   Thank you

Answer
Dear Jason

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~klathrop/FGmammals.htm#Blackfootedferret says that the black-footed ferret lives in New Mexico. Your animal had the black tail tip and black legs of a black-footed ferret, but not the distinctive mask.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/conservation/documents/FerretPoster.pdf compares the black-footed ferret with a long-tailed weasel and a European ferret. I don't believe you saw a long-tailed weasel, but you may have seen a polecat ferret, which retained the black tail tip and black feet of a polecat, but not the mask.  http://www.blackfootedferret.org/animal-profile shows some young black-footed ferrets, but they already have the mask.

If you took any photos of the animal, please contact me, as the black-footed ferret is a bery rare animal, but does live in New Mexico.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright