Wild Animals/bears "not that strong"

Question
your diatribe on the bear not being "that strong" or impressive was ridiculous...you sound like one of those 12 year olds on youtube arguing that a tiger would kill a bear. grow up maybe?

as far as the strength and agility of a bear, there are plenty of videos out there as well as witness testimony to convince one that a bear is most certainly as strong as is usually claimed. ive seen bears flip over 600 pound rocks with one arm as if they were 10 pound stones...ive seen a grizzly take down a bull caribou at least as large or larger than the bear with minimal effort. ive seen bears peel the doors off trucks like it were nothing, just to get the food inside. no lie...

Answer
Dear Tracey

Thank you for your question.

Please can you let me know which 'diatribe' you are referring to? Apart from a private question a few weeks ago, where I linked the strength of a bear to the shoulder hump, I haven't answered a question about bear strength for some time and I don't remember stating that a bear isn't 'that strong' or impressive. I accept that some of my earlier answers have been superceded by more up to date information and I am willing to make corrections, where applicable.

When I try and answer questions, I use the materials available at the time. If I am on a break at work, I use the internet, but if I am at home, I can also use the books at my disposal. I have not seen bears flip over rocks, peel doors off trucks etc, but that doesn't mean that I don't agree with your observations. Please note that many of the films shown on the internet are staged and involve captive animals, rather than wild animals.

When it comes to questions about strength etc, some information is subjective and it is not justified to generalise from an individual animal to all animals of that species.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright