Wild Animals/Infertility and wild animals

Question
Do you know if there are any studies, or theories, about infertility among wild animals? I try to find an answer to the question about whether or not wild animals can be infertile (of other reasons than human interference, such as pollution or domestication).

Answer
Dear Alex,

This topic is so broad that you'd have to do some searching on GoogleScholar (www.googlescholar.com) with a LOT of different keywords to find studies like this.  I'm not famliar with any off the top of my head.  I did a quick search just now and found one about the effects of inbreeding on wild populations:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169534702024898

But most studies on infertility are done in a controlled, lab situation (that's where the funding is, since researchers are usually doing the research with helping human infertility in mind.  As if we need more humans.).

I'd suggest you do some searches by finding some initial studies, checking their literature cited sections, and then using additional keywords to narrow the search to specific species or known causes of infertility.  I'm sure the studies are out there, but it will take a good deal of work to find them. Off to the library!  :)

Hope this helps.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.