Wild Animals/Red wolf

Question
Is it your opinion that the red wolf population is extinct in SW Louisiana?

And is it your opinion that the red wolf gene pool is no longer isolated from interbreeding with the coyote population?

Is it possible to differentiate Red Wolf from Coyote tracks based on size comparison?

Thank you for your information.

Answer
Dear Michael,

1.  Is it your opinion that the red wolf population is extinct in SW Louisiana?

I'm not enough of a "red wolf" expert to know that specific information.  That would be the job of a research specialist in the area.

2.  And is it your opinion that the red wolf gene pool is no longer isolated from interbreeding with the coyote population?

Some research and DNA evidence suggests that the "red wolf" is actually not a distinct species, but rather a hybrid of a coyote and a timber wolf.  Please see:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/2409486

It's controversial, and people get pretty upset when you suggest that the Red Wolf may not be a true species.  But speciation can sometimes occur via hybridization, and it might be that the Red Wolf is an incipient species that now--because of human encroachment on its habitat--is being forced back into sympatry with coyotes, with which they can still interbreed.

3.  Is it possible to differentiate Red Wolf from Coyote tracks based on size comparison?

I doubt it, since individuals of different ages will have different sized feet.   There is doubtless quite a bit of overlap.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.