Wild Animals/I want to work with penguins.

Question
Hello, this may be sort of a redundant question for you, but today I was at a zoo and went right to the penguins. I love penguins so much, they're my favorite animal and I collect pretty much everything even related to penguins. I want to work with penguins as a career and understand that volunteering would benefit me a lot in order to achieve my goal. But what's got me in a pickle is the type of classes I should take? It's my dream to work with them hands on and up close, so I'm not sure if there are specific classes/degrees I need in order to be able too. Hope you can help! Thanks!

Answer
Hi Kasey,

Thank you for contacting me with your question about pursuing a career working with penguins. There are a few approaches you can take in terms of your education. I have a BS degree in Veterinary Technology, as did several of my colleagues at the New England Aquarium. Other staff members had degrees in Biology, Marine Biology, or Zoology. If you are interested in studying the behavior of penguins, you'll want to look for colleges offering degrees in ethology or even psychology. To work in most zoos or aquariums, you will need a BS degree. To become a field researcher, you will need an advanced degree - either a Masters or Doctorates. You don't say how old you are - if you're still in high school, you'll want to focus on science courses.

This article has information about pursuing a career working with wildlife: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Education/WildlifeCareers/default.cfm

Here is a another website that has lots of great links to more information about zoo and aquarium and other animal careers: http://www.khake.com/page10.html

There is a great school in California for people wanting to work with animals (primarily as a trainer) called Moorpark College and they have an excellent reputation. Here is a link to their website: http://www.moorparkcollege.edu/current_students/teaching_zoo/other_programs.shtm

Here is a link to SeaWorld's page about becoming a trainer there: http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/info-books/training/animal-training-careers.

This woman has a good page as well - if you scroll to the bottom of the page, she has several links to schools and training programs: http://www.anapsid.org/resources/jobs.html

I also came across this place last year - I don't know anything about it (other than it is NOT an accredited school), but it's worth a look: http://www.animalschool.net/index.htm

That being said, the best way to get your foot in the door at a zoo or aquarium (in addition to getting the proper education) is to become a volunteer or intern. This is extremely important. At the New England Aquarium, we hired 95% of our staff from our volunteer and intern pool. In addition to getting a BS degree, you will also need to get your scuba certification if you want to be hired as a staff member at most aquariums. I would start by contacting the zoos and aquariums in your area to see if they are looking for interns or volunteers. If you don't yet have any animal care experience, you can start off by volunteering in an animal hospital, kennel, farm, or shelter - any sort of work with animals will be very helpful in getting hired as a volunteer at a zoo or aquarium.

I hope this is of some help good luck in pursuing your dream of working with penguins!

All best,
Dyan

Dyan deNapoli -THE PENGUIN LADY
Penguin expert and author of The Great Penguin Rescue
www.thepenguinlady.com

Wild Animals

Dyan deNapoli