Wild Animals/Wild animal identification

Question
Having lived in the Sequoia National Forest for 28 years, I have never before seen the animal I watched this morning around 11 AM. The white snow made a stark contrast with the dark, sleek body of this animal.  There is a creek about 50 feet from my window, and the animal was romping in the snow on the creek bank.  It appeared taller and longer than a weasel, a stoat, or a domestic cat.  Strangely, it's body shape seemed most similar to that of a mongoose.  It actually appeared about the size of a white-tailed mongoose with a similarly shaped long tail arching above the hind legs, dropping to the ground, and curling upward at the tip. (I realize the mongoose is not found on this continent; I only use it for comparison sake.)  The animal's coloring appeared entirely black or at least very dark with no white or light colored markings.  

Would you have any idea what animal I may have seen in this area of the world? I'm so sorry I could not grab my camera in time.  Thanks for any insight you may provide on this mystery critter!

Answer
Dear Colleen,

My guess would be a Pacific Fisher, which is a denizen of your neck of the woods.  You can see pictures here for comparison:

http://tinyurl.com/akgc3ly

Fierce predators, and can be dangerous to small pets and even very small children.  Good to be aware.

Fun to see them, though. They are beautiful animals.

Dana  

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.