Wild Animals/small, deep hole

Question
We just put new siding on our barn office. It sits on a concrete slab.This hole was not there last week while we were working on the siding.Sometime in the past 2 days, (It has been raining heavy), something dug a hole, right next to our concrete slab. The hole is one and a half inches across. It went down more than the 34 inch stick I tried to measure depth with. I am wondering if something dug down to go under the concrete slab. There is just a small amount of soil along side of the hole, (like something kicked the dirt out there.) There are about 20 barn cats here and around my horse barn. Can't imagine what animal would have done this. The fact that it has been raining so hard could explain why the cats did not catch this animal digging. Any ideas what animal it would be? The temps have been ranging from 40-65 degrees F.

Answer
Dear Becky

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://icwdm.org/pages/GroundHoles.aspx#less shows pictures of various holes with a diameter of less than 3 inches. It may be best to print out the photos and compare them to the hole and see which hole is nearest. The fact it was raining heavily would have softened the soil. It seems that a rodent is the most likely culprit, but rat burrows tend to be shallower than the 34 inches indicated by the stick.http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_problems/hgic2364.html has similar information that may help.
http://extension.missouri.edu/p/g9440 gives detials about moles, but you haven't mentioned any ridges above ground, which seems to indicate that the animal isn't a mole.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wildlife/msg031441589920.html gives information about snakes, which can live in deep holes.
Please note that the hole may be deep as the animal was about to enter hgibernation.

I'm sorry I couldn't provide a definite identification of what made the hole, but I hope that the photos in the first website will help you reach a conclusion.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright