Wild Animals/Tracks never seen before in this area

unknown track 1
unknown track 1  

Unknown track image 2
Unknown track image 2  
I was out deer hunting this morning and after I had left my blind I came across these tracks that walked right up to my blind. These tracks really caught my attention because of their size. I have not ever seen tracks like this before. They kind of resemble coyote tracks, but the size of the tracks would indicate to me as being a super coyote of some sort.

The picures do not have a size comparison to go off of but the size was around 3 - 3 1/2 inches in width and 3 1/2 - 4 inches in length.

Can anyone identify these tracks?

Puma concolor paw
Puma concolor paw  

Cougar idenitification
Cougar idenitification  
Hi Jeremy,

It appears that you have stumbled upon a large cat.  Judging by the shape and size, it appears to be of Carniovra Felidae descent, a Puma concolr ; aka, a Cougar/Mountain Lion.

The average Cougar/Mountain Lion will leave tracks of 3 to 4 inches with no claw marks.  For reference, I would suggest taking a look at the Puma Field Guide from the Cougar Network, specifically pages 35 and 42-47.

I hope this helps to clear things up!

Wild Animals

Steve Harris

Animal Care and Control, Identification, Dangerous Animals, Containment, Cruetly Cases, Cruelty Prevention, Rescue and Care, Euthanasia, Laws, Welfare

10 Years on the Job Experience

ASPCA Member HSPCA Volunteer

Certified Animal Control Officer Certified Euthanasia Technician