Wild Animals/White-tailed deer

Question
Hi!

This is probably an odd question, but I was wondering how a white-tailed deer (a doe, specifically) raised by humans would behave. How would wild deer behavior translate to a domestic setting? Would she be playful? Trainable? Easily socialized? Affectionate? Anything else important?

For bonus points: what issues would come up for the person raising the deer? (This would be in a quasi-suburban setting with wild deer around.) Would there be problems around rutting season? Would she be likely to damage property when startled or excited? Etc.

This is for writing purposes, by the way. I don't intend to acquire a pet deer.

Thanks,
Lara

Answer
Dear Lara,

I've never had a deer as a companion so can't give you firsthand information. But I do know people who have lived with deer. The females are quite adorable and playful.  Males can become aggressive when they reach sexual maturity, and even dangerous.

You might want to contact these folks:

http://www.pelorian.com/deer.html

Though they don't have "pet" deer, they can probably tell you a LOT about the natural behavior of female deer who interact on a regular and friendly basis with humans.

Good luck with the writing project!

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.