Wild Animals/becoming a penguin trainer

Question
Dear Dylan,
I am a senior in high school and I have been looking into becoming a penguin trainer. I was wondering if you could explain the process of becoming a trainer. I have always had a love for penguins and becoming a trainer is something I am very interested in.
Thank you so much
---Marissa whited

Answer
Hello Marissa,

Thank you for contacting me with your question about becoming a penguin trainer. This is a question I've actually answered previously here on AllExperts, so I'm posting a link to that answer for you. That being said, at most facilities, you're not actually training the penguins, but working as a caretaker, making sure all of their needs are being met. Some places do train their penguins to do a few tricks or train them to do behaviors that will help with husbandry practices (ie. stepping onto a scale, which allows the keepers to monitor their weight, which is a good indication of overall health).

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Animals-705/2012/1/career-choice.htm

I hope you find this helpful, and good luck to you!

Warm regards,
Dyan  

Wild Animals

Dyan deNapoli