Wild Animals/10 day old baby rabbit

Question
Good evening,
I am a veterinary assistant and today had a 10 day old baby bunny dropped of at our clinic. The eyes appear to have just opened. I have attempted raising babies in the past but they are usually too young or too far gone for help. My question is, what is the best way to go about weaning without a mother? I have seen articles on probiotics and cecotrophs and am just not sure where the success lies. At what age would you introduce grasses and have do you start up the gut flora. Just looking for options.

Answer
Dear Krissi

Sorry for the delay in answering.  Had some emergencies that kept me off line.  :(

For information on raising orphaned bunnies, please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

and

http://rabbit.org/faq-orphaned-baby-bunnies/

Weaning can be accomplished when the baby is about 8 weeks old.  Just start diluting formula with a little bit of clean drinking water every feeding.  Start with about 10% water, and then increase gradually.  Baby will soon lose interest in the formula when it's not milky.  

I hope the baby is doing well, and will thrive in your care.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.