Wild Animals/Pic of cat?

Question
Cat
Cat  

Cat 2
Cat 2  
I work in Rocky Hill, CT and there are woods across from our building. I was outside and noticed a cat of some kind digging in the grass. This was last May 2012. I'm still mystified on what kind of cat this is. It almost looks like a tiger cat, but really big. There are no homes around here, so I think it's living in the woods. Unfortunately my phone camera didn't pick up a very clear pic since it was a distance away. Any thoughts?

Answer
Dear Darlene

Thank you for your question and photographs. I alsowish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_of_Connecticut#Cats_.28Order_Carniv says the only species of wild cat that definitely lives in Connecticut is the bobcat, although there is a remote possibility that the cougar may exist in northern Connecticut, while the Canadian lynx may have lived in the state in the past. I have looked at both photographs and I reckon that they show a domestic or feral cat.The second picture is definitely not a bobcat and is the wrong shape for a cougar.I'm sorry to disappoint you. Last year, there was talk about a lion living in Essex, but it turned out to be a big domestic cat (see http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/26/lion-on-the-loose-in-essex). It is quite easy to misidentify animals. I know I've done it several times.  

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright