Wild Animals/Wild Cat

Hey!  I live in West Hartford, CT (moved across recently from the UK!) and I just saw some kind of wild cat on my decking!

I thought it was a fox at first (same size and colour of a UK fox!) but on closer inspection, it was a cat!  Too big for a feral domestic cat, and it's face was more like a bobcat/lynx type of creature!  It was cool to see, it came right up to the back door! But I have a dog, and I just wanted to know a) what this animal could be and b) could it be a danger to my dog?

Dear Clare

Thanks for the e-mail. Good luck in your new home. One of my work colleagues moved from London to Nevada last year.

I wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_of_Connecticut#Cats_.28Order_Carniv gives a list of species of wild cats found in Connecticut.  The only likely species is the bobcat (http://www.wildlifeofct.com/bobcat.html), which is prevalent in areas where coyotes are relatively scarce.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_bobcat.shtml and 'Bobcat Control and How to Prevent Attacks' by Jay W. Sharp say that bobcats rarely attack people; if a bobcat does attack a human, it tends to have symptoms of rabies. If you have a small dog, you should protect from bobcats and other predators. You could keep it indoors, in an enclosed area with a roof, or in a secure, protective cage or pen. A large dog should be safe, but there have been reported bobcat attacks on larger dogs (http://www.wftv.com/news/news/wildlife-offficials-dog-possibly-attacked-by-bobca). Do not feed the bobcat, as this can encourage it to become too comfortable around humans, so it associates people with food and could attack people who don't feed it. If a bobcat is deprived of natural prey, it may turn to livestock and pets for food.

I hope this helps

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.