Wild Animals/Wolves

Question
I've got three questions regarding wolves:
One, is it an urban myth that wolves mate with domesticated dogs or does it happen?
Can wolf pups be raised as pets or do they eventually turn ferocious?
Are wolves and coyotes identical or distinct species?

Answer
Dear William,

1.  One, is it an urban myth that wolves mate with domesticated dogs or does it happen?

It is possible, as they are technically the same species.  Dogs have just undergone a lot of artificial selection and look (and behave) very differently from their wolf ancestors.  For this reason, interbreeding isn't that common and is done primarily with human assistance. In the wild, it would not happen often except perhaps with a very feral dog.  

2.  Can wolf pups be raised as pets or do they eventually turn ferocious?

Wolves are not naturally vicious or ferocious.  They are actually quite shy, social, and afraid of humans if they are wild.  They can be raised to be "pets", but because they are wild, they will never behave like a dog.  A wolf will befriend a human, but it's a bit harder to train a wolf.  For more details, read "Arctic Wild" by Lois Crisler.

3.  Are wolves and coyotes identical or distinct species?

Wolves (Canis lupus) and coyotes (Canis latrans) are considered distinct species, but they will interbreed occasionally.  The Red Wolf (Canis rufus) is believed to have resulted from ancient interbreeding between wolves and coyotes, and there are some who believe that the red wolf is not even a distinct species because of the occasional interbreeding between them and coyotes.

It gets complicated.

Hope that helps.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.