Wild Animals/Question re Orang-utan behaviour

Question

I am currently completing a course in Zoo Keeping. As part of that course I am required to completed a problem based learning task based in animal enrichment.

This is the problem I have been presented with

Orang-utan Molobo has been with the zoo for over 3 years. She has recently been moved to an enclosure with a smaller outdoor area but a larger social group. There are ropes and tree stumps available as enrichment. Molobo has not been observed using the ropes or stumps. Over the past 12 months she has started displaying stereotypies such as rocking and self-aggressive behaviour. This stereotypical behaviour is gradually getting worse. She appears to be a subordinate in the group and keepers have recorded gradual weight loss over the past 6 months. The keepers want to improve the wellbeing of Molobo through a combination of physical, social, sensory and feeding enrichment strategies.

I am required to contact someone within the field to gain their views on the problem, potential avenues of treatment and what they might do to overcome the problem.

I hope you are able to help me out.

Answer
Dear Khalia

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

Please note that I am not an expert on animal enrichment, although I have seen various zoos that have tried various techniques to improve the lives of their animals.

I suggest that you contact a local zoo that keeps orang-utans and arrange to communicate with the orang-utan specialist there. http://www.zoo.org.au/ should help.

http://www.eaza.net/activities/cp/Pages/EEPs.aspx gives a list of international studbook keepers. These people have details on which zoos keep different species of animals and may suggest the best contacts for people wanting general information about species. Clemens Becker at Karlsruhe Zoo, Germany has been the studbook keeper for Bornean orang-utans (Pongo pygmaeus) and Sumatran orang-utan (Pongo abelii)since 1990. http://www.quantum-conservation.org/EEP/ORANG%20UTAN.html gives the address of Dr Becker as well as that of Neil Benment at Paignton Zoo. It also enables you to send an e-mail to Dr Becker.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more, but I am sure that you are just as capable of doing on-line searches as I am and probably have more detailed knowledge as to the type of answer that your course tutor is looking for.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright