Wild Animals/7th grader questions

Can dolphins see in color?

What color are dolphins eyes?

What types (species) of cheetahs are there?

Can you tell me more about the spots on the cheetah.   Are they in a pattern?  Do they have the same spot pattern as their parents?

Dear Jennifer

Thank you for your questions. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

1. No, dolphins can't see in colour ( and

2. says that the eyes may be black or blue. The centre is black with a slight variance of color that is usually blue or flicked with brown. The 'whites of the eyes' have a brownish tan. The pink dolphin has black eyes with some blue around the centre. says the eyes are reddy-blue.

3. There is one living species of cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) lists three extinct species (Acinonyx aicha, Acinonyx intermedius and Acinonyx pardinensis), but Acinonyx kurteni is possibly fraudulent. lists various subspecies, but some of these are disputed. The king cheetah was classified as Acinonyx rex, but the coat pattern is caused by a single recessive gene.

4. and other websites have details about the cheetah's spots and looking at a few pictures of cheetahs will help you with your question. says that in newborn cubs, the spots are blended together and barely visible, but later they resemble the spots of the adult, although,858,AR. says that different spot patterns in the Cheetah’s coat makes each one unique. says that various coat patterns are due to the genetics of the parents. The coat pattern of the king cheetah is caused by a single recessive gene, so both parents may have the ordinary spotted coat and hence differe in spot pattern from the king cheetah cub.

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.