Wild Animals/Loon nest

We have a loon nesting on an isanld on our lake in NH & it has been 5 weeks since the nest was noticed.  There are 2 eggs in the nest.  No sign of any chicks.  We had a rope & buoy (cut up noodles) barrier with a  stay away  sign floated in by our loon preservation society biologist in early July.  Do you know where I can find information about how long a loon will stay on infertile eggs? Thanks.

Assuming this question relates to last year....
Loon eggs hatch in 26-28 days after being laid.  The adult loons take turns sitting on the eggs almost 24/7.  If no adults have been on the nest for 6 hours or more, they have probably abandoned the nest.  I have seen them abandon infertile eggs after 5-10 days.  If there are 2 eggs in the nest sometimes one is viable while the other is infertile.  When this happens they continue to sit on the nest until the one egg hatches.

Wild Animals

I ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT COMMON LOONS. As a Common Loon expert, I can answer any questions about Common Loons - from biology, behavior, conservation, habitat and environmental issues effecting Loons. AGAIN, I ANSWER COMMON LOONS QUESTIONS ONLY - IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT OTHER ANIMALS, PLEASE ASK A DIFFERENT EXPERT. Thank you!

I was a guest presenter for the NH Loon Centerís 2005-2009 Summer Nature Talks series, lecturing on the Life Cycle of the Common Loon. I will be returning with 2 shows for the 2010 Summer Nature Talks series. I have lectured on Common Loons at the NH Massabesic Audubon Center, the NH McLane Audubon Center, the York County Maine Audubon, the Harris Center in NH as well as numerous Libraries and retirement communities in MA and NH and assisted living facilities in MA and NH. I wrote a book "Adventures With Grapenut" which follows the life of a 4 day old loon chick until it migrates to the ocean 121 days later. I collaborate with the biologists at the NH Loon Center throughout the year.

Birds & Blooms. Adventures With Grapenut

BS Biology, marine biology major and 10 years observing and photographing Common Loons in NH and ME.