Wild Animals/Baby Robins

Question
Hello,
A robin built a nest on a ledge outside my home's second story window. She laid 4 eggs around 2 weeks ago.  Last evening when she was gone I peeked in the nest and there was 1 baby bird just laying there not moving, and the other 3 eggs were unhatched.  This morning I peeked in again and there were no babies and only 1 egg. If the eggs hatched and the babies didn't survive what happened to the bodies and egg shells? I didn't see any on my driveway below the nest. Also is the mortality rate for baby birds so high that they could all die immediately after hatching?

Thanks

Answer
Dear Todd

Thank you for your questions. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

First of all, I can't tell you what happened to the robin chicks and eggs, but I suspect they were victims of predators.

As regards mortality rates, a pair of robins only needs to produce two chicks that become adults in order to replace themselves. This means that chick mortality is high (http://animal.discovery.com/birds/american-robin.htm) and most chicks die before becoming adults and the younger the chick, the more vulnerable it is, although it is also very vulnerable just after leaving the nest, but before it is able to fly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Robin and http://www.seattleaudubon.org/sas/LearnAboutBirds/SeasonalFacts/AmericanRobin.as say that only 20-25% of young Robins survive the first year.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright