Wild Animals/animal seen behind house in Massachusetts

Question
unknown animal
unknown animal  
I saw an animal about 12 to 14 inches long, fat with tan fur, legs about 2 to 3 inches, tail not noticeable.  Picture attached.

Answer
Dear Mona

Thank you for your question and for your clear photograph. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

The photograph shows a marmot and http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/facts/mammals/mammal_list.htm says that the woodchuck or groundhog is the only species of marmot living in Massachusetts. The animal seems quite small, so I suspect it is a young animal that has recently left the nest.  http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/living/living_with_woodchucks.htm suggests that woodchucks are born in April and May and emerge from the den 33 days later, which would correspond with the time you saw the animal.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright