Wild Animals/Cat identification issue

Question
I have two large outside dogs that have many acres to roam on. They have been returning with claw marks on their shoulders, legs, and today one had a bald patch on his head. As far as I can figure, the paw had to be at least 6 inches in diameter but not very deep.
I have scoured the Internet researching bobcats, cougars, and other potential menaces in North east Kansas. I have not been to identify the exact animal but I am positive it is a feline. I have in the past seen a bobcat run down the middle of the gravel road in broad daylight so I know there has got to be one near here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Theresa

Answer
Dear Theresa

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://kufs.ku.edu/libres/Mammals_of_Kansas/felis.html says that cougars are no longer found in Kansas, but http://kufs.ku.edu/libres/Mammals_of_Kansas/lynx-ruf.html says that bobcats occur throughout Kansas, so if the animal that attacked your dogs was a wild cat, it was probably a bobcat.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/bobcats.htm says that bobcats may attack dogs that are the same size as a cocker spaniel. It suggests that you feed dogs indoors and clean up after them. You should pick up any leftovers and spilled food after the dogs have finished. Water, pet food and droppings attract small mammals, which then attract bobcats. You should keep dogs indoors, especially from dusk to dawn. Ben Willis (http://scotcats.online.fr/abc/photoalbum/injuriesbobcat.html) has information and photos about bobcats atcking dogs. ``

If you haven't already done so, please take the dogs to a vet, who should check the symptoms and may be able to identify which animal wounded your dog. While a bobcat seems likely, I cannot confirm that this was definitely the case.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright