Wild Animals/Dog ate all but 1

I found a nest of baby rabbits under my sons slide yesterday afternoon, well our dog did. I was close by so I got her away before she could do any harm. One of the babies jumped out so I put him back in. I placed an x over the top with some twigs and left them alone. ( well my son did uncover it and count the bunnies). While I was at work tonight my husband informed me that the dog dug up and ate @ least 3 of the 6. He found one alive unharmed behind the garage. He put it in a box in that garage with what bedding he could find from the nest. When I got home from work momma bunny was in the front yard by the tree ( we've been seeing her for weeks under the bushes. ) so we decided it was best to put the baby back in the nest under the slide in hopes that momma will come back. Do you think the mother will come back? It was dark when my husband found the dog in the nest and there are baby bunny remains all over the yard. My son was asking what was going on so he has not picked up the remains yet. I placed an x back over the nest. The baby still had a white mark on the top of its head and only 1 eye open. If the nest is un disturbed in the morning what should I do?

Dear Kellie

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

First of all, female rabbits usually come to suckle their young twice every 24 hours (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cottontail#Reproduction), so hopefully the mother has returned to suckle her young. If the nest is undisturbed, I suggest that you contact a wildlife charity or rehabilitator for advice. It can be difficult to look after baby rabbits and it would be better for this to be done by an expert.  See http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm for advice. It says that the baby's eyes open at 6-8 days, so the baby rabbit is probably about a week old.

http://www.mary.cc/rehabbers1.html#in has a list of wildlife rehabilitators in Indiana. Hopefully, there will be somebody near you.

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.