Wild Animals/Mockingbird eggs vanish

Question
A pair of Mockingbirds created a nest in one of our rose bushes. The bush is located in the front of our home. It is a well established bush that is a little taller than me (I am 5ft4in) and the nest was very well hidden. The only reason we found it was I noticed the Japanese Beatles were starting to feed on the new rose buds and I happened to notice a broken tree twig sticking out.  I went to pull it and that is when I saw the nest. Over the next few days it went from 1 egg to 4 eggs.  No one in the family touched the nest nor any of the branches, Yesterday evening my husband saw the 4 eggs when he took the dogs out and as he is much taller than me he can easily look over some of the branches without touching them and see the nest but this evening they are all missing. I thought I read somewhere that birds do not move their eggs but we didn't see any broken eggs under the rose bush nor anywhere else in the area.  We do live in an area with woods around our home.  Is it possible a snake could have gotten the eggs?  I know we have brown snakes as well as copperheads but very rarely see them.  
Respectfully, Nikki

Answer
Dear Nikki

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Mimus_polyglottos/ and http://eol.org/pages/1050704/details say that blue jays, fish crows, American crows, snakes and squirrels eat northern mockingbird eggs and chicks. Stephanie Pappas (http://www.livescience.com/14043-cats-hunt-mockingbird-chicks.html) says that cats will also eat the eggs and this could explain why you couldn't find any eggshells, as cats often carry their meals some distance before eating them.
The female often eats the eggshells, to replace the calcium used to make them in the first place. Otherwise, the parents will fly off to dispose of them a long way from the nest; the white inside of a shell is conspicuous, and if left near the nest might attract predators.

Resin (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225438/#b) says that a female mockingbird often eats the eggshells to replace the calcium used to make them. Alternatively, the parents take the eggshells and fly a long way from the nest to dispose of them, as the white inside of an eggshell may attract predators. This means that the eggs may have hatched and that a predator may have eaten the chicks rather than the eggs, although the predators listed above (blue jays, fish crows, American crows, snakes, squirrels and cats) may have eaten the chicks. As you didn't find any eggshells, I think there is a strong possibility that a predator took the newly hatched chicks, perhaps when the parents were removing the eggshells and the chicks were more vulnerable.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer to this question, as there are several possibilities.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright