Wild Animals/prank or animal?

Question
okay, my mother and i sleep with the window open. and last night we woke up to something that sounded exactly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7YKuiggTK0 (note this is not my video, but exactly what we're hearing) Mom says it's a prank- we live in meriden, ct; people here do allot of stupid crap. the comments say it's a racoon fighting or a baby racoon calling for it's mother. and while that is a possible conclusion. i would like to know if it is or if it's something else like a opossum or a skunk or a fisher cat which or also around the area. thanks  for you time, take care.
-Feenie

Answer
Dear Feenie

Thanks for the question and link. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

I've listened to the call and it does sound strange. I don't think it sounds like a fisher screaming (fishercatscreech.com/fisher-cat-sound-and-audio/‎); fishers are fairly uncommon in Connecticut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_of_Connecticut#Weasels_and_Otters_.) and I also don't think it's a prank. There seems to be a woodpecker in the recording. I tend to agree with the people who think it sounds like a raccoon. www.soundboard.com/sb/Raccoon_Sounds_audio gives a number of calls and you can check if any of those resemble the call you heard. www.junglewalk.com/sound/skunk-sounds.htm gives recordings of skunk sounds, while http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Plants_Wildlife/Opossum.asp says that opossums make few sounds. They may hiss or make a slight growl if they feel threatened or during fights in the mating season. Females make a clicking noise to their young and if young are separated from their mother they may make a slight “choo choo” call or a sneezing noise. None of these sound like the sound on the website you sent.

Please listen to the various sounds and see which is nearest to the sound you heard.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright