Wild Animals/Coyote pack vocalization

Question
I'm here in western NC west of Asheville...while I have a lot of woods with no trails or roads nearby, you would call it rural but close to urban on the edges.  A pack of coyotes travels in the wooded areas, and at odd times will go into one helluva eerie yip-howl as a group, hard and fast for 20 seconds, maybe more....and then dead silence, and I do mean dead. Kaput.  Never one yip more.  I have three pups that go out in the woods, and when this happens close by I reel 'em in.  My question is I figured this was a pack-kill thing, but in reading maybe it's more of a 'joy of life' and reuniting of the pack.  I'd LOVE to know what they are saying and such...not a hunter, don't shoot, just want to know...when it's close to the house, like 200 yards, it's REALLY discomforting.  Deep thanks for your input in advance.

Bob

Answer
Dear Bob

Thank you for your question

I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

Gary San Julian (http://news.psu.edu/story/141205/2007/01/15/research/probing-question-why-do-coy) and Melsissa Schindler say that howling is a basic communication behaviour in coyotes and has several functions. Coyotes live in packs comprising family members.

1. Coyotes may call to find other pack members that have been hunting by themselves. The howl can be heard over long distances and when pack members start howling to one another, they can all find each other at the end of a hunt and come back together again.

2. Coyotes also howl to advertise their presence to other packs in the area. If various packs know where other packs are, they are less likely to stray into another pack's territory. A small pack can sound like a substantial threat to curious coyotes in other territories. training.

3. Larger predators can threaten small puppies. If a threat comes near a coyote’s den, the parents howl to distract the unwelcome visitor. Coyotes scatter away from the den so the predator follows the howling adults and moves away from the puppies.

http://www.urbanwildness.com/urbanwildness.com/Coyote_Howling.html says that coyotes may howl in response to a siren or for joy during play. Coyotes may produce a distrss call if they feel threatened by a dog.

From the information you have given, I suspect that the coyotes are howling to advertise their presence to other coyotes so they avoid conflict. This could be in response to scent signals produced by other coyotes near territorial boundaries, although I can't confirm this.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright