Wild Animals/Animal nest in my Orange County, calif, backyard

Question
There is an animal that has chewed and gathered plant leaves and mostly plant limbs to make a pretty big den. I have a small slope where I have bushes that have grown about 4 to 5 feet. The plant that attracts butterflies that are orange or other colors. At night he comes out late because evidence almost daily is seen in the morning. Maybe the size of a medium cat because one night I did catch a quick glimpse. Poop is the size of a cat but it is definitely wild scat. What kind of animal do you think it is and what can I do. (Other than the obvious and clear the area...I love the growth because it covers a slope and gives privacy from neighbors when we jacuzzi...yikes at night I am afraid not to mention that into have a small dog!
Thank you,
Kathy

Answer
Dear Kathy

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_in_California gives a list of mammals living in California. It includes 4 members of the cat family: the feral cat (Felis catus), bobcat (Lynx rufus), jaguar (Panthera onca -extirpated in 1826) and the puma (Puma concolor). The scat of a feral cat would be the same as that of a domestic cat, while it is extremely unlikely that you would have a puma in your garden without you realising it. This leaves the bobcat, which agrees with the information you gave me. http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/bobcats.html says that bobcats make dens in caves, rock crevices or hollow logs or trees. It carefully olines the den with dry leaves, moss or grass, which it forms into a shallow depression. The website also says that the droppings resemble those of dogs and cats and includes a photograph.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/bobcats.html says that you should feed dogs indoors and clean up after them. If you must feed them outside, you should do this in the morning or at midday and pick up bowls and leftover food as these may othrwise attract small mammals that may attract the bobcat. You should keep your dog indoors, especially at night, otherwise the bobcat may attack it. http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_bobcat.shtml says that bobcats rarely attack people; the website also gives advice on how to repel bobcats.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright