Wild Animals/Burrowing Animal

Question
Burrowing Animal
Burrowing Animal  

Burrowing Animal
Burrowing Animal  
Over the last three months an animal has burrowed just under the surface of my lawn for a distance of about 8 feet. I have tried filling in the burrow but after a few weeks the animal comes back. At the end of the burrow in the middle of the lawn the hole goes down vertically about 18-20 inches. Can you tell me what animal is doing this?
I have attached some photos that give a good idea of the problem as well as hole size etc.

Answer
Dear Rob

Thank you for your question and the two photographs, which were very helpful. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites and books I used.

Steve Harris has produced a useful guide to identify animal burrows at http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/how-identify-animal-holes. The photos suggest that the burrow was made by a brown rat. The diameter of the hole matches the average 6-9 cm of a rat hole and there is a roughly fan-shaped mass of freshly dug soil outside the hole and a well-trodden runway.
'Animals Tracks, Trails & Signs' by R.W. Brown, M.J. Lawrence and J. Pope has similar information abour rat holes and burrows, but also says that the tunnels are up to 50 cm deep (about 18 inches), which also agrees with the measurements you have given to me.

It may be a good idea to contact your local council if you are concerned about possibly having rats in your garden.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright