Wild Animals/Live trapped wild mice, and the human that cares for them.

Recently we have been live trapping a lot of mice. We saw one a month ago that was fat, and the ones we have been trapping were young, so I think the first one was a pregnant female. Anyway, we've recently been trapping in letting them go at a park or wildlife reserve. However, we can't go at night. Last night I trapped one mouse and we kept him in a small clear case, with bedding, food, and water. We were originally going to release it today, but were in a rush and couldn't. Then we trapped three more mice (one who we think was the female in question, and unfortunately got away a few hours later), so we moved all four (now three) mice to a bigger 10 gallon tank. What's left is the male we think is the father, and two little ones. Okay, so I'm rambling on now. This information may not be needed. The point is, we are planning on releasing them tomorrow, but I'm worried with the food and water provided and having to touch them when either moving them to the bigger cage, or to prevent them from getting out (coupled with the fact that one has been here for around 26 hours, have made them used to humans and they won't survive long when we release them.

Can we still release them, or should we call somewhere that would keep them?

I know this is quite long, so I appreciate that you've taken the time to read this.

Thank you,

Dear Katie

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

I suggest you contact a local wildlife rehabilitator.,,, and have details for North Carolina.

Please note that some mice, such as house mice, can be pests and spread disease, so you should rely on the advice of the rehabilitators as to what is the best plan of action.

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.