Wild Animals/Could this be a Mink?

Question
Weasel
Weasel  

Weasel 2
Weasel 2  
I live in Northern Bergen County, New Jersey in a town called Ridgewood. Last year I spotted a weasel type animal on my property which was black and looked something like a less long somewhat chubby ferret. When I looked online the closest picture I saw was a Mink. A Ferret was much longer in body length.

Well this morning at around 8 am a similar if not the same animal caught my attention on our back porch wood pile. Nervously I snapped as many pictures as I could before this animal scurried off. Unfortunately all are not crisp and somewhat blurry. I figured that perhaps even one of these pictures might help identify this animal. I learned online that Minks do live here in Northern New Jersey but are rarely seen and even more rarely photographed. Perhaps that's why I was so nervous trying to capture its image before the animal was gone. I did my best and I not sure how well a pour quality picture will help with its identification. I have four decent photographs. Don't know how many I can send you here. If only one than I will pick the best one.

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Dear Daniel,

The coloring of the animal's pelt and its posture suggest to me that it could very well be a mink, and these critters certainly extend across the Northeastern United States, which would of course include New Jersey.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Fady

Wild Animals

Fady D. Isho