Wild Animals/wolf track?

Question
track
track  

track
track  
i found a large track and i need some help identifying it
i know it has to be a large animal because the print is almost as big as my hand  and we have a small barn dog but she a small dog no where large enough to leave this track she goes biserk at night and early morning hours like aggressive growling and barking
i live in southern Canada in listowel Ontario i live in the woods out in the country
we have had wolf sightings cougar sightings lots of coyote sightings but this is too big for a coyote
we also have not heard or even seen any stray dogs out here either so i was wondering if you could help me identify it ?
it measuers at just 4 inches long by just over 3 inches wide

Answer
Dear Melissa

Thank you for your question and photos. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://westernwildlife.org/gray-wolf-outreach-project/signs-of-wolves/ shows the differences between the tracks of wolves, domestic dogs and coyotes. They are very similar, but differ in size. You are right in saying that the tracks are too large for a coyote, but as the upper photo seems to be of a fore foot, it is too small to have been made by a wolf, but is the right size to have been made by a large dog.

I think that the tracks is more likely to have been made by a large dog, rather than a small wolf, but the tracks are very similar.

I hope this helps

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright