Wild Animals/Unknown wild animal washed up at Zululand Yacht Club, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

Question
QUESTION: Good day, during the last week a strange animal washed up at the slipway of the Zululand Yacht Club, SA. It was clear the body had not been in the water for a long time as there were no signs of decay. The body was a grey/black colour, and approximately 50cm in size. It had stronger hind than front legs, hands which indicated that it was not used for walking on (similar than chimpanzee hands). The hind legs were longer than the front legs (similar appearance than a kangeroo). It had ears similar to a hyena (big and round), with large eyes. The face was similar to a dag, with a sharp nose. It had a long tail, with fluff at the end. I do have photos of the animal which I can email if necessary. I have asked around and done some research, but cannot ID this animal. Please assist.

Thanks

ANSWER: Dear Jacolette

Thank you for your question.

I think that the animal is a springhare. Please can you attach your photos to another e-mail and I hope I'll be able to confirm my suspicions.

All the best

Jonathan

QUESTION: Hi there, its not a springhare. Much larger animal with BIG ears and eyes. How do I attach photos, or where do I get the email address to send to?

Thanks

Answer
Dear Jacolette

I'm very sorry for the delay. It looks as if the reply I sent last month got lost in cyberspace as your follow-up is still in my inbox.

I can't think of any obvious answers to the mystery e-mail. You can either attach the photo to an AllExperts e-mail or to my e-mail address: jonathan123wright@yahoo.co.uk.

I hope you enjoy your festive season.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright