Wild Animals/manatees

Question
If its not a good idea to swim with or touch the manatees in the wild, then how to all the parks get away with it? They advertise that you can swim with and touch them. If its going to put them in danger I won't do it. I wouldn't want to take the chance. But one website I goes to will say you can and another web site says its not a good idea. Which is it? I live in Florida. I have contacted FWC and they say they will get back to me "SHORTLY" Which is code for 'sometime between now and never.

Answer
Dear Joyce

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (http://myfwc.com/education/wildlife/manatee/viewing-guidelines/) say that the manatee is protected under federal law by the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 and by the Endangered Species Act of 1973, which make it illegal to harass, hunt, capture or kill any marine mammal. The manatee is also protected by the Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act of 1978, which states: "It is unlawful for any person, at any time, intentionally or negligently, to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb any manatee."
Harassment is defined as any activity which alters the animal's natural behaviour, which can create dangerous conditions for the animal. If manatees become accustomed to being around people, they can alter their behaviour and may lose their natural fear of boats and humans, so they are more likely to be harmed. Many manatees have been injured by the propellers of boats.  

There is some conflicting information. Crystal River Manatee Tours (http://www.plantationoncrystalriver.com/manatee-tours.htm) say that people can gently touch and stroke manatees with just one hand, if the manatees approach them. This conflicts with information from other websites that state that people are not allowed to touch manatees at all. While I can't state what effect touching has on a manatee, I agree with the FWC that it is better for manatees to fear humans or boats, rather than running the risk of being harmed by people, even if this is unintentional.

I'm sorry to hear that FWC didn't respond quickly. http://myfwc.com/contact/ gives a number of ways to contact them. A phone call may be best.

Good luck

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright