Wild Animals/wild rabbit unusual habit

Question
I notice a rabbit in my backyard, during late morning, 5 days ago it looked like a very small(young) and I walked out there to see if it was alive. As I got close it sat up and then hopped off just a little ways. I then noticed it was full size and the significant indention in the ground. I went back in my house so not to scare her off, being quit sure it was a nest. Weird thing is she has not left that nest during daylight, at all, for the past five days. I know because I have a dog that keeps begging to go outside and I keep checking to see if she is still there. When is she going to leave that nest? I fear if my dog scares her and he sees her run off he WILL find the nest.  I have been stuck having to take him out front for short stays rather than allowing him to be in the back on his own.

Answer
Dear Jennifer

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the website I used.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wildlife/mammals-louisiana lists two species of rabbits living in Lousiana; the swamp and eastern cottontails.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/Sylvilagus_aquaticus/#reproductio gives details about the nesting behaviour of the swamp cottontail and says that the young rabbits leave the nest after 12-15 days of age. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cottontail#Reproduction says that the young eastern cottontails begin to move out of the nest for short trips at 12-16 days old and are weaned and independent by 4 to 5 weeks. Litters disperse at about 7 weeks. Females do not stay in the nest with the young but return to the opening of the nest to nurse, usually twice a day.

If the rabbit gave birth about 8 days ago, you may have to wait another 4-8 days before the young leave the nest.

If you are worrried about the rabbit, it may be best to contact a local wildlife rehabilitator using http://www.lawraonline.com/tempsite/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id.

I hope this helps

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright