Wild Animals/Feeding Feral Pigeons in NYC

Question
Hello Dana,

I got into it with a stranger today who voiced his opinions about my feeding pigeons at a local park, which is six acres in size. He was having a hard time articulating his argument but I understood where he was coming from. Of course, the park has signs that state visitors should not feed the pigeons and squirrels. I assume this has more to do with mice and rats than anything else. As a side note, if the Park Dept. was concerned about rats, they should not have allowed a famous eatery to set up shop in the park. Their customers leave scraps on the floor and feed the squirrels french fries. But I guess the money for renting out the space allows them to overlook such things.

Just so you know beforehand, I don't feed pigeons just any old bird seed. In fact, I go out of my way to give them a healthy diet. I feed them a mix of black oil sunflower seeds, Canadian peas, maple peas, Austrian peas, organic corn kernels, and brown rice. I learned about their diet through bird racers who've posted this information on various forums. I must say their birds look amazing with beautiful coats.

Anyway, I've heard many reasons why one shouldn't feed wildlife and agree with most of them, but only under "specific" circumstances. Feeding and habituating a black bear, for example, is quite different than feeding a feral pigeon. I understand that a large number of the pigeon population in NYC dies from lack of food and water (esp. in the winter). That comes as no surprise because they are born into a concrete jungle. How will they keep from starving to death if humans don't leave them scraps or feed them seeds? Water comes from dirty pools by the curb or partially melted ice, also dirty.

Based on what I've read, humans brought pigeons to the new world as a food source but some escaped and populated our country. That was then and now people have changed the once beautiful country landscape into populated cities. Pigeons are just trying to survive.

I told this stranger that his financial support of our factory farms will probably do more harm to the environment than anything I could ever do by feeding pigeons. I understand that feeding wildlife will make them dependent on handouts and they will lose their skill at finding food on their own and become dependent on us. However, for the reasons I've mentioned already, surely an exception exists or am I so ignorant I don't see what's before me?

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Ed,

Actually, I with you.  Pigeons have been associated with human civilization for thousands and thousands of years.  They are a species that evolved in cliff caves, as we did.  They have followed us into the cities where we have built artificial caves everywhere, and have found this new habitat as inviting as we do.  

Not feeding the pigeons is not going to make them go away.  It's not going to make them forage for their own food.  Urban and suburban pigeons already rely on human waste and handouts to survive; they are no longer their ancestors' pigeon!

So go for it.  Enjoy tossing those birds their treats and don't feel guilty.  There is already too little kindness in the world.  Why should not a simple little bird be the recipient of your generosity?

Take care, and give them a handful for me.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.