Wild Animals/identity scat

Question
I have been finding animal scat close by my home that I can't identify.  It is green in color (almost a lime green) and is in the form of a soft circular pile, about 3 inches across.  It looks almost smooth like a small pile of fresh cement.  I live in the country in the west portion of Oregon.  Can you help.

Answer
Dear Steven

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thnk the authors of the websites I used.

http://icwdm.org/inspection/scat1.asp gives a guide to different scat. The scat nearest the one you saw is a 'plop' - not a very technical name, but quite descriptive. I don't think it was produced by a cow, bear or buffalo (I'm quite sure you'd notice one of these near your home and the dropipngs of them would be bigger. The site says that geese often have green droppings, but these tend to be tubular.

I think the animal that produced the scat had a physiological problem, probably a diseased liver (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_dog's_feces_green), as this would explain the green colour and and diarrhoea or anu upset stomach (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_any_animals_that_have_green_feces) would explain the shape. This would mean that both the shape and colour of the scat would be unusual for the species and it would be very difficult to determine the animal that made the scat. Please note that human droppings also vary greatly in colour, size and shape, so it shouldn't be surprising that the droppings of other animals can vary.  

I'm sorry I couldn't make an identification for you, but it can be difficult to identify the scat of healthy animals, but is almost impossible for animals with liver disease, diarrhoea or similar conditions.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright