Wild Animals/what R these, plz?

Question
teeth or claws 1
teeth or claws 1  
tooth or claw 2
tooth or claw 2  
QUESTION: Hi, I'm thrilled to have discovered your site! I've been searching for ANYTHING that would shed some light on these 4 items (teeth?) I've got.

As much as I want to learn the origin of these 'teeth', it's just as crucial that I know what they AREN'T! It's been suggested that they are "Bear Claws"(ouch!). I'm leaning towards a tooth of unknown origin...

Anxiously awaiting an expert opinion!
Thank you in advance.
Sheila
Attch: 2 photos, size

ANSWER: Dear Sheila,

They are not claws, and definitely not bear claws, which look like this:

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photography-bear-claws-image19079702

They are teeth, as you suspect.  The groove on the inner surface suggests that these are the canines of a carnivore, but what carnivore they might be, I do not know.

Knowing their origin might help narrow things down...but they could be from any number of creatures.

Dana

silver tops
silver tops  

CAPS & TEETH
CAPS & TEETH  
QUESTION: Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge & providing this incredible service!

All I know about the origin of teeth is they came from an antique store.
I wonder if the Sterling Caps that may provide a further clue...?

As seen in the photos, they are etched in what appears to be a Native American design, and seems to be most typical of the Navajo tribe pattern.

What I've learned so far is invaluable,,,any additional details would be phenomenal!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Answer
Hi, Sheila

Unfortunately, that doesn't really help narrow things down much.  I can tell you that the yellowish part fitted into the cuff is the root, so only the white part is what emerges from the gums.  From the size, you might be able to make a better guess.

If it's really from the Southwest US, then they could be anything from a cat or dog to a skunk, raccoon, or mustelid (weasel family) of some kind.  Sorry I can't be more specific!

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.