Wild Animals/Kangaroo Culling

Question
I am doing a research paper on kangaroo population control in Australia, specifically the Eastern and Western Grey and Red. I have two questions. My questions are:
Do you believe there is a viable means of introducing birth control to kangaroos in the wild?
Culling is currently used extensively. It seems this is the most effective and efficient means of controlling population with their grasslands shrinking and population growing.  What are your thoughts on culling as a means of kangaroo population control in Australia?

Thank you for your time and thoughts regarding my questions.

Answer
Dear Nate

Thank you for your questions. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used. Please note that I have tried to edit the two papers, but you may need to check the biochmical details expressed in the first one.

Birth control: Catherine Herbert wrote a paper (http://www.awrc.org.au/uploads/5/8/6/6/5866843/catherineherbert.pdf) about using birth control. Suprelorin is a long-acting contraceptive implant, containing the gonadotrophin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist deslorelin. This implant inhibits reproduction in female eastern grey kangaroos by shutting down the production of hormones from the pituitary. This inhibits follicular development and disrupts oestrous cycles, so females are in a permanent state of anoestrus whilst the implant releases its active ingredients. Contraception tends to last about 18 months with no negative behavioural side-effects. As the implant is injected by had, the kangaroos must be captured. If kangaroos have become habituated to people, they are relatively easy to capture using immobilisation drugs injected from a pole syringe. If kangaroos have had little interaction with humans or have negative interactions with humans, it can be very difficult to get near enough to safely try to dart animals, making the exercise prohibitively expensive.
As fertility control does not involve removal of adult animals, it can take some time before there is a decline in the population. when the mortality rate exceeds the birth rate within the population. If kangaroos are captured, they may become more wary in future. There has been work on developing a prototype dart to facilitate remote delivery of the Suprelorin contraceptive implant, which will reduce the cost of administering individual implants.

Birth control seems to be a good idea and has been found to control populations of various kangaroos and wallabies.

Culling: High populations of large herbivores in various countries is often linked to the rarity of suitable predators. In a natural predator-prey balance, the predators tend to choose weak and elderly prey, leading to the survival of stronger individuals. Hunters often choose the stronger animals, which provide better trophies or skins, hence weakening populations. Unfortunately, people have helped wipe out large predators in Australia and have introduced animals that compete with, or help to wipe out, native animals.

David Croft (http://www.awpc.org.au/kangaroos/bias.htm) notes that Queensland tends to cull large male kangaroos, leading to a shortage of males. One reason is to maintain a sustainable kangaroo products industry. When hunters kill alpha males, female kangaroos are more likely to mate with weaker males, leading to weaker young. If stronger females are killed, males may avoid females that are poor breeders.

I think the problem with culling is that the targets tend to be strong, halthy individuals, rather than weak ones. This could lead to a fall in the population, along with may of the survivors being less able to produce healthy offspring.

I'm afraid I'm not an expert in this subject and I would prefer it if Australia still had large carnivorous marsupials that could control kangaroo populations by weeding out weaker individuals.

I hope this helps

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright