Wild Animals/Mediterranean Horseshoe Bat

Question
Hi Jonathan,
My name is Lovleen and I am in grade 3 researching all about the Mediterranean Horseshoe Bat. I have had difficulty finding information about their life cycle, defenses and what are its enemies....greatest threats.
I hope you can help.
Lovleen

Answer
Dear Lovleen

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used:

Life cycle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_horseshoe_bat says that nurseries normally hold 50-400 females, sometimes with some males. http://www.arkive.org/mediterranean-horseshoe-bat/rhinolophus-euryale/ says breeding typically occurs in late spring, with individual bats beginning to gather in breeding colonies from mid-March to early June. A single young is born after a gestation of around 7 weeks. The mother feeds her young on milk from her teats and has 2 additional teat-like projections, called ‘dummy teats’, to which the young clings while its mother is flying. The young bat can fly after around 3 weeks and becomes sexually mature after 2 years.
Defences: http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/bats.html says that when bats roost in large numbers in inaccessible places, they obtain some protection from predators. Wings provide little defence against predators and bats cannot use their sharp claws for kicking or scratching while at rest, so it is better to roost in places that are difficult for predators to access. An alert bat can bite with its sharp teeth and can use echolocation to determine if there are any large, moving objects that could pose a threat.
Enemies: This information came from http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/Rhinolophidae/#predation: Possible predators of Mediterranean horseshoe bats include owls and other birds of prey, many carnivores, other bats, snakes, and other opportunistic vertebrate scavengers that encounter an injured or juvenile bat. Bats are probably most vulnerable to predators while they roost or as they emerge in the evening to forage. Some predators, such as snakes or hawks, may wait near cave entrances at dusk, attacking bats as they emerge; I doubt if this happens for the Mediterranean horseshoe bat.
Threats: http://www.arkive.org/mediterranean-horseshoe-bat/rhinolophus-euryale/ says the main threats seem to be the loss of the bat's foraging habitats and disturbance to its underground habitats. The bat is very sensitive to disturbance. Human activities such as urbanisation, tourism and intensive farming probably exacerbate the problem, especially when they occur within or close to areas the bat needs for roosting, foraging, breeding or hibernating. The bat is also threatened by fragmentation of its habitat, as the bat seems to need continuous linear features, such as hedges or strips of riparian vegetation, to commute between foraging patches. Using pesticides negatively affects the bat.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright