Wild Animals/Animal excrement on my deck

actual size for perspective
actual size for perspe  
Hello.  I found this unusual poop all over my deck this morning.  It was near the roofline, so maybe it was a bird, although I have never seen anything like this.  I looked for answers online, but none of the pictures illustrated how perfect this poop looked! They were about the size of rabbit poop, maybe a bit smaller.  They were all identical in the perfect "grid lines" on them.  Any idea what made these? So interested in knowing!
Thanks, Maureen
Chatham, NJ, US

Dear Maureen

Okay, crazy question:  is there a possibility this is a fruit from a tree over the deck?  I've never seen a fecal pellet like that.  Check out the nearby shrubs and trees.  If there were lots of these in a "gridlike pattern", I suspect it's fallen plant matter.

I wish I could see/examine it in person to be sure.  Hard to tell from a photo.

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I'm an evolutionary biologist with a passion for animals. Ask about natural history, behavior, ecology, evolution. PLEASE NOTE:

If you have found an "orphaned" or injured wild animal or bird:
Please don't waste time asking questions on the internet, as the answers may come too late. DO NOT FEED THE ANIMAL, and DO NOT HANDLE IT unless it is in imminent danger. (Many wild "orphans" are not orphans at all!) If you are absolutely sure it is orphaned, keep it warm and quiet, and find a LICENSED WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR HERE. Don't try to raise a baby yourself, or rehabilitate an injured anmal. Many a well-intentioned rescuer will do more harm than good, especially with baby birds and baby rabbits.

Without geographic location, time of day and habitat, I can't help. A clear picture is always best.

It's impossible for me to I.D. an animal call without hearing it myself.

I'm not an expert on comparative strengths of different animals (more complicated than you might think!) nor bite forces.

I refuse to answer "Which of these two animals--X or X--would win in a fight?".

These hypothetical matchups range from impossible (Grizzly Bears and Gorillas don't even occupy the same continent.) to ridiculous (Someone asked me "Who would win a fight between a Great White Shark and a tiger?").

The vast majority of animals--even the fierce and powerful--are not as warlike as Homo sapiens, and it's childish to project our aggressiveness onto them.

I have been the fortunate caregiver to a group of Black-tailed Jackrabbits rescued from the Miami International Airport, and not releasable in this area because they are not native. I also have rehabbed and released Eastern Cottontails, and am in contact with many very experienced wildlife rescuers who regularly handle injured or orphaned rabbits and hares.

House Rabbit Society

Exotic DVM journal

I have a Ph.D. in Biology, with main areas of expertise in evolutionary biology, genetics, botany, and ecology.