Wild Animals/Animal Identification

Question
I live in the countryside of north central Mississippi, on a large tract of uninhabited land (200+ acres bounded by a national forest). This morning, about 7am, a critter walked across my back lot that I can't identify. I estimate it to be 5 - 10 pounds, dark almost auburn fur, pointed nose, long furry (not bushy) tail, rear legs longer than front so it walked with nose down and tail up. Except for the pointed nose and coloration, I first thought it might be a raccoon. Any ideas what this might be?

Answer
Dear Michael,

An adult raccoon would weigh more than 5-10 pounds.  But a juvenile might be that small, and could have a case of mange.  This is not all that uncommon in the summer, unfortunately.  As humans (and their dogs) come into closer contact with wildlife, coyotes, foxes, raccoons and other wild animals can contract mange, caused by parasitic mites.

Without seeing the animal, I can't be sure, of course. But that's my best guess.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.