Wild Animals/just asking

Question
How strong is the silver back

Answer
Dear Troy

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

Please note that there is a lot of anecdotal evidence associated with gorillas, especially from the time when they were considered to be savage animals, ready to attack any people who came near. Also, very little work has been done to verify the strength of wild gorillas.

Fieldworking (https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060812113302AAbejNL) says that a silverback gorilla can almost casually bend and snap tempered steel bars (5cm thick) and giant bamboo stalks, suggesting a muscle power of at least 8-15 men. Jersey Zoo's Jambo weighed over 400 lb, but could hang from one arm, while methodically ripping over 60m of inner ceiling securely screwed and nailed planks from a roof with his other arm. The silverback uses its very powerful jaws to reach the pith of plants and in defence, inflicting serious wounds with its bites.

Gulder Roy (https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060812113302AAbejNL) says a gorilla's strength is mainly in the upper body. On a bench press, a strong man can bench press about 250kg, while a gorilla could lift about 2500kg.

Matti Marzel(http://ferociousstrength.com/the-phenomenal-strength-of-gorillas/) says that a silverback gorilla has far more pure, brute, raw and total strength than the strongest man and is at least 20 times stronger than 20 Strong men! Matti Marzel reckons that a silverback can easily take 5-8 of the strongest men in the world on a pound for pound basis, break both their arms and legs and rip their heads off in a split second. Gorillas are a lot stronger on a pound for pound basis then any other primate and show incredible strength when it comes to pound for pound bodyweight pulling strength and efficiency in their upper body, such as their grip strength. The website includes a video below of a silverback ripping up an banana tree.

http://seaworld.org/animal-info/animal-infobooks/gorilla/physical-characteristic says that an adult gorilla's upper body strength is six times more powerful than that of an adult human - enabling it to lift, break and squeeze heavy objects.

I hope this is useful to you. Please note that I haven't verified whether all the figures and comments in each website are true, but they show a consistency indicating that silverbacks are very strong.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright